Hello my name is
Judas
My friend warned
me, “you will learn so much when you blog.” Well, I guess I am learning and
also I am finding myself contemplating a lot of what the scriptures do not tell
us.
I was pondering
the characteristics we know about the disciples. I have decided that I do relate in some
aspects to all of them. Thinking about
Jesus living with them and what their personalities were like. Who took on what responsibilities? Who was the “clown” in the group? Who was the one who was most liked? Etc.
Today my name is
Judas.
Just the name
Judas sends all kinds of bad thoughts, traitor, evil, Satan, betrayer, greedy,
etc. It is because of Judas that Jesus
was arrested. But it was God’s plan that
Jesus come to earth, live among us, teach, preach, heal and die for us. The word says, Luke 22:3-6
3 Then Satan
entered into Judas Iscariot, who was one of the twelve disciples, 4 and he went
to the leading priests and captains of the Temple guard to discuss the best way
to betray Jesus to them. 5 They were delighted, and they promised to give him
money. 6 So he agreed and began looking for an opportunity to betray Jesus so
they could arrest him when the crowds weren’t around.
The only things
we know about Judas was he was a follower of Christ, treasurer for the
disciples, and a betrayer. He betrayed Jesus after Satan went into him. We do not know what other reasons he would
betray his teacher. This could lead us
down a tangent-was he dishonest the whole time he was with Jesus, was he
stealing from the monies they had for their travel etc. We are not given the
information.
I too have
betrayed others: Jesus, my husband, family, mother, father,
sisters, brother and children. Did I
intentionally betray them? NO! I do not
always but things in the right priority, the “correct” order, I betrayed a
confidence, I gave my unrequested opinion, or I ignored a situation when I
should have spoken up or taken action. My words and actions made them feel betrayed
and that I was a traitor.
I definitely am
not perfect. I learn something new every
day. I try very hard to love, protect
and work hard. Do I have opinions? Yes, I think we all do. Do I want to be Judas? No I want to be like JESUS. It is hard work to follow Jesus, it is worth
it. Obstacles come along the way to
refine us and sharpen us.
Judas is not a
popular name because of one man.
However, there were other men named Judas mentioned in the Bible. Judas
is a form of the word Judah- which means high praise. So there is hope for us that sometimes seem
to be “Judas”.
If God can use a
donkey, he can use a Judas as well. God’s
grace thankfully covers a multitude of sins.
Please Dear God;
Help us to be like Jesus and not Judas. Help us to be strong in the faith. Help me to be the supporter, encourager, and
helper you need me to be for your purpose. Our goal is to only hear-“Well done-good and
faithful servant,” that is the high praise we desire.
In Jesus name, Amen.
Aaron Smith
May 31, 2016
It is encouraging also that Jesus knew he was going to be betrayed by Judas, and yet he did not hold contempt or hatred for Judas. If Jesus can forgive the man who betrayed him and sent him to his death, then we most certainly can forgive someone when they do us wrong. Jesus said the two most important commandments was to love God with all your heart and soul, and to love your neighbors. So we should take a cue from Jesus and love everyone, even those who have betrayed us.
ReplyDeleteLove is a huge encompassing word. God is Love. For God so loved the world...
ReplyDelete