Sunday, May 15, 2016

Just a girl


Just a girl…

Yes!  That is me.  Just a girl, well a girl who happens to be in her forties!  She is a nurse, mother, wife and fan of literature and travel.  She also is a follower of Jesus.  I do my best, to follow and hopefully I am doing a good job.  The goal is to hear well done one day.  I pray that I do my absolute best.

I recently read a quote-“I am old but I am forever young at heart.  We are always the same age inside.  Know that you are the perfect age.  Each year is special and precious, you can only live it once.  Do not regret growing older, it’s a privilege denied to many!”  Richard Gere

Yes, Richard Gere an actor and not a current Christian.  We can all pray for Jesus to be revealed to him.  But he has lived life.  He has experienced love and loss. I enjoy watching his films he seems genuine in his roles.

There is a lot of wisdom in his quote.  “We are always the same age inside.” This made me ponder a lot of things. Are we all the same age inside?  Is it the age that we most identify with? I think we feel as young as we allow ourselves to feel.  In many ways I don’t feel that much different from when I was 18.  That is until I hang around some 18 year olds then I realize that I am not the same.  I really do not feel like I have changed that much.  I am around some people my own age who have made different life choices and I don’t feel like their age either.

In my career of nursing, I have met many patients. Most of my patients are older than I.  I have learned that they are young.  They have young stories.  Their stories have surprised me and made me smile.  Looking at a woman of 89, thinking about how she sneaked out of her house to see her “boyfriend” I couldn’t help but think of her life.  She tells the story with the smile of a young girl.

I have seen pictures or “memes” of patients and how they see themselves.  Most commonly portrayed as an older lady looking into a mirror and seeing a reflection of her younger self.

So I have decided that I am a woman of God who feels mostly like a girl! I am proud to be a girl.

Girls and boys- Jesus said we need to be like children well he said, “I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn’t receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it.” Luke 18:17.  So I don’t mind being a girl for Jesus.  I am His child, and that is all I need.

A child trusts, a child does not question too much.  A child loves without question.  A child has faith.  Children are resilient.  God wants us to be content to be his children.

My child, listen to what I say, and treasure my commands. Proverbs 2:1

My child, listen to the wise: Keep your heart on the right course. Proverbs 23:19

My child, if your heart is wise, my own heart will rejoice! Proverbs 23:15

Aaron Smith, May 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment