Do you live with
Peter?
A few weeks ago,
my Pastor Ronnie mentioned something that I guess never really sank in
completely about Jesus. He said, “Jesus
in his humanity experienced every emotion and situation possible. There is
nothing you are going through that Jesus will not understand.” He continued, “Have you every stated to God,
you just don’t understand!”
Ok, I am
guilty! I have stated that mostly due to
relationship issues said, “Do you see this God? What am I supposed to do with
this?” Etc.
So during my
busy week, sorry it is true. Working
mother and wife, my weeks are busy! I
was contemplating these thoughts. Wow,
Jesus you experienced true heart breaks, sadness, death, despair and
relationship woes. I don’t think anyone
of us would argue that his last week of humanity was the absolute worst! But I was mulling over the mundane details of
my life and situations periodically throughout the week I began to see the
situations that might have happened. I wish I had more insight and could write
a story, like Max Lucado when he writes about biblical characters. I mean the four gospels include a lot of
information, but do you think John wants to recount when he did something
foolish in front of our Lord and Savior!
We have a difficult time admitting it, and we can’t see Jesus in the
flesh but we know he is there.
I recently read
an introduction to a book. Yes, a Christian Adult coloring book. There I said it! The introduction was marvelous, in fact so
much so I copied and carry it with me.
The author is Margaret Feinberg and she is talking about a difficulty a
friend is facing and she said but I just learned to “live loved.” Wow, live like we are loved. Most of us are blessed with family, friends,
and acquaintances that love us, like us or put up with us. But God always and forevermore will love
you. Live Loved, so I was in this
reference of mind when I at church.
When we “live
loved” we know that Jesus is with us. Immanuel.
He knows all and is always ready to listen and speak if you are still
enough. I was particularly flustered
with a member of my family, who will remain nameless, I was in the shower and I
just said, do you see what I go through, do you know what it is like to live
with this person? Suddenly, I heard “Did
you live with Peter?” The first thing I thought
about is that Peter is usually represented as a loud, burly, rough fisherman
those thoughts flooded my head.
I replied, “Wow,
oh Lord, no but you did, and not only did you live with Peter but for several
years you lived with 12 men. Oh God, 12
men with their various habits, flaws, odors, personalities! Not only 12 men but
you grew with a house full of siblings. Oh Jesus, no I guess you really do
understand! You know what I am talking
about!! Oh Jesus, I am so sorry you had to put up with 12 stinky men! And you are willing to put up with me!”
So the
realization that Jesus not only put up with people who were educated,
uneducated, moody, anxious, depressed, suicidal, mental unbalanced is very
clear in my mind. I like to think in
terms of putting myself in that time period.
The dust, dirt, sandals, uncleanliness, etc. We do not know much about the private
meetings with Jesus and the disciples, but I bet if we really contemplated it,
we could make a sitcom out of it!
Do you live with
Peter? Do you live with Judas? Jesus has
and regardless who your Peter or Judas is…Jesus gets it!
by Aaron SmithMay 2016
Thank you for posting this...this will definitely help me on the days that I am cleaning up after many different people in my home, or dealing with certain behaviors and attitudes. There is nothing we could go through that is quite like what Jesus went through for us.
ReplyDeleteYes, he understands all of it! I also know when it comes to cleaning up after little people there are a lot of women whose desire is to have children. So I know I am blessed! Thanks for your comment! :)
Delete